1) Hotel du Nord (Anne and Ann’s hotel in Christiania) 2) Akershus festning /castle 3) J. Dahl (bookshop) 4) J.W. Cappelen (bookshop) 5) University (Nat. history et al.) – Zoology collection (the birds) – “1 1/2 hour there seeing the birds” – Musée of Northern antiquities 6) P. J. Hoppe’s bookshop – “Then to Hoppe’s for pencils English for Ann” 7) Cathedral (Domkirken) 8) Grûnings Løkke 9) Royal Palace 10) Guldberg & Dzwonkowski 11) Botanic Garden
Christiania Torv – the main square or market is just a couple of blocks from Hotel du Nord, where Anne and Ann stayed when in Christiania. The cathedral is situated at one end of the market, and Hoppe’s is right nearby. This market – now Stortorvet – is still there and a popular spot for buying blants, flowers and vegetables in summer.
Guldberg and Dzwonkowski prove to be an important connection in Christiania. The two men went into publishing and opened a music- and bookshop 1835. The bookshop was situated on the corner of Storgaten and Youngsgate at the time Anne Lister visited Christiania. More…
Georg Henrich Jæger (or Henrik George Jæger) born 1817 in Arendal, was an assosiate at Guldberg & Dzwonkowskis. In 1842 he apparently left Christiania for Copenhagen where he established the bookstore/puplisher Skandinavisk Boghandler.
“The professor of mineralogy” is likely Professor Jens Rathke:
Professor Jens Rathke (1769-1855), born in Christiania, Norwgian scientist (primarily Zoology). 1813-45, Norway’s first professor of natural history and taught zoology, botany and mineralogy. He also was head of the botanic garden on Tøyen in Christiania. He left his fortune and papers to the University of Oslo (Christiania) which provides scholarships and stipends to young scientists traveling in order to research Norse plants and wildlife.
The musee (Natural history and zoology) with “the birds” was in Mariboegården.